Sunday, January 4, 2009

ST MARY'S HIGH SCHOOL


Our time in Canada is coming to a close so I thought it about time that I introduced you to some of the people who I have been working with over the last 12 months. Besides that I actually have lots of marking to do so you could say that I am procrastinating. St Mary's is the only Catholic school in Woodstock and has about 1,000 students. This last semester I taught 3 Grade 12 classes so I very fortunate as they were great classes for the most part.


My workroom was Room 186 so I thought I would give you an insight into the goings on in this particular room. Above are Lorraine Thompson and Bela Shea. Lorraine teaches Religion and she is one of the gentlest and kindest persons I have ever met. She is always prepared to drop anything to help you which she did for me on many occasions. Thank you Lorraine. Bela teaches Family Studies and although she is tiny she is very assertive and confident and not one to mess with according to the students.


These two characters above with the cheeky smiles are Tim Trewin and Monica Marzhal. Tim is the Head Teacher for Religion and Monica teaches Religion also. Tim is a whiz teacher and super organised Head Teacher and an interesting person to talk to. He also organised the potluck lunches and Chinese feasts throughout the year. Monica prefers to hang out in Siberia in one of the portables, don't know why as we are stimulating company, but when she wants to gossip she turns up in the workroom.


This is Bruna Pullin, our ever efficient receptionist and just good person. Bruna has relatives in Australia so we found many occasions to chat. Thank you Bruna for doing paperwork for me and generally filling me in when I had queries.


This is Stan Verschoore who is one of our Vice Principals (sorry about the photo Stan). Stan is in charge of staff absences and organises on-calls and relief when it is needed. Of course he hands out those on-call sheets with a smile on his face and everyone justs loves him. I'll always remember the way Stan gets involved in the life of the school, his Halloween costume was particularly memorable.


These two ladies are Natalie Wood and Mary-Anne Kish. Natalie works in the computer office and makes sure that we all do the right thing when it comes to reports etc. She always has a smile on her face, well almost always, apart from when we forget to check the box when we have entered our report marks and comments. That of course only happens twice a semester so that's not at all bad. Mary-Anne is the Principal's secretary and she too always appears to have a sunny smile, even when it is -10 degrees outside.


This is Shirley Gelinas, our second Vice Principal. Shirley is in charge of student welfare among other things and has been helpful in the absence of a Department Head Teacher this last semester. She patrols the corridors with her trusty radio and has some particular Grade 12 students running scared from her. If the truth be told probably some staff members as well.


Above are Brad Boulianne, Kathy Shelton and Myriam Martin. Brad occasionally visits our workroom and teaches Religion. His best performance so far has been trying to steal a desk in Room 186 from a rather feisty Irish lady ( no guesses for who won that skirmish). He also introduced me to Hungry Man's Dinner, a microwave dinner that would help you along to a heart attack if you ate too many. Kathy Shelton teaches Geography and I will not forget her as she is always so optimistic and she gave me a quilt which she had made herself, so I will have a little bit of Kathy and Canada. Myriam teaches French and is one of the people responsible for the Sunshine Club which does just that, brings a little bit of sunshine all year round.

This is Paul Droog who resides in our workroom and teaches Religion and is the king of the one-liners. He has so many that I honestly cannot remember a particular one. I have loved his cynicism and sense of humour.


These two ladies are Katie d'Hondt and Kristy Lane who both reside in our workroom and both teach French. Katie has become a great friend and I will miss her very much. She finishes up shortly after I leave to have her first baby so I will look forward to that. Kristy has only been here this semester as an LTO so I hope that she is able to get more work next semester.


Above is James Delodder who is Head Teacher for Canadian World Studies or Social Sciences. James and I shared a prep this semester and we have had some great conversations about everything from politics to unions and I will miss this a great deal.


This is Gail Moran who has been like a substitute mother for me, even though she is much younger. Thank you Gail for all the help and friendship you have given me over the last year and also for the great variety of jellies, jams and pickles which you have made for me.


Last but certainly not least this person is Anne Paterson-March who is the feisty Irish maiden who was involved in the dispute over the desk in Room 186. Anne teaches English and she quite the character who has become a good friend this last semester.

Thank you one and all for making me so welcome and for making my stay so memorable. You will not be forgotten and because of all of you I can honestly say that this experience has been a once in a lifetime.

No comments: